Do you have a family emergency plan? Plan now to keep your family safe!
During an emergency, does your family know what to do, where you can all meet up together, and how to get ahold of one another?
Know your hazards: earthquakes, flash flooding, wildfires, extreme heat, disease outbreaks, etc.
4 steps to keep your family safe
- Make a family disaster plan
- Build an emergency supply kit (enough for 3-5 days)
- Stay informed
- Get involved with a local CERT team
Family disaster plan
- ID’s possible local emergencies & what to do during them
- Lists your plans & meeting spaces for your family, plus how to get ahold of one another
- Checklist on building an emergency supply kit
- Reviews practical items that you’ll need to know in an emergency (e.g. shutting off your gas)
How to stay informed
- Register your phone on Alert San Diego
- San Diego County Emergency App (free)
- Info on evacuation routes/maps, shelter locations, resources on how to build a kit or make a family plan
- Cal Fire / San Diego County Fire
- NWS San Diego
- Ready San Diego
- Radio (Rez Radio 91.3, KOGO AM 600, KLSD AM 1360)
Check for weather alerts
Caltrans Road Closures
Check Rain Levels (in real-time) in SD County
Know your weather terms
Flash Flood Watch – potential for urban and unusual flooding from heavy rain rates including burn scars
Flash Flood Warning – urgent danger from flooding (running water over 6 inches). Flash flood advisory for lower impact.
Winter Storm Watch – potential for damaging high wind and/or heavy snowfall impacts to travel
Winter Storm Warning – urgent heavy snow and high wind. Winter storm advisory for lower impact.
PALA ENVIRONMENTAL DEPARTMENT CLIMATE CHANGE SERIES
Discover and follow our on-going Climate Change series: